Friday, September 24, 2010

Text Drawings




For last week's assignment in computer class, we were instructed to create 3 text drawings using Adobe Illustrator: 1 was to be an abstract piece; the 2nd a realistic representation of an object; the 3rd was the pictorial representation of an action or state of being. This week we were to redo one of our drawings.

Might I just say that in summary of this experience, I find Adobe Illustrator...to be...the...most...infuriating...thing...ever...mostly because it can't read my mind, which is always an annoying quality for software because then it doesn't understand that I JUST want to move this one object up to join with this other one, or I JUST want to select these three figures WITHOUT selecting everything behind them, or I JUST want to move this one object but you won't let me click on it...!!! ...but I digress.

Anyways, I suppose I should explain my thought processes to some degree: I began with the abstract piece because I had zero experience with Illustrator prior to the assigment, and I figured that playing around with the tools, fonts and mechanisms would leave me with a pretty abstract piece regardless. Two birds with one stone! And although after creating whatever...that image was...I am no Illustrator master, but at least I had a better feel for the program's general capabilities (for this piece, I really focused on moving letters/icons around, arranging them, etc). Following this, I tackled the "representation of an object" piece and decided to make a bunny head using the "little bunny foo foo" lyric text repeatedly to fill the spaces and create the outlines. I wasn't thrilled with the result because it looked rather messy and wasn't the most proficient exploration of shading with letters/text, however it provided me with additional experience to carry into the next piece! For my final creation, I chose the word "pointy" and, after much deliberation (i.e. searching for the pointiest symbol on the keyboard), decided to formulate the word and background with "^". Sharp, eh?

After viewing everyone else's work, I decided I would recreate the bunny using only letters (in Arial font because all Illustrator versions have that and I was tired of losing text moving from computer to computer...) because it seemed fun and most true to the assignment.

WELL...there it is! (haha, Amadeus quote. Anybody get it?)

No comments:

Post a Comment