Friday, October 29, 2010

Back to lecturing about the artist's studio space...

(ACK!!! This saved instead of posting!!! T_T)



I don't know if I want to be lectured about studio space anymore, it's getting me stressed out. I need to figure out what I'm going to do with my life before worrying about how I'm going to do it, because that will fall into place. Aaaaaaarrrgggghhhhh...but I digress. This dude ran his studio from the basement of his grandfather's bakery, which is absolutely badass.to say the very least. But rather than getting myself caught up in the nonsensical talk about how "his studio is almost like home and he collects chairs and locks himself away for a day or more to force himself to work, blablabla", I focused on his progression through the artistic field and finding something that he actually wanted to do. I admire how he found his area of interest - woodcraft/construction - and within that field he continues to shift his focus in a constant search of new ideas and processes - from constructing segmented room installations to whittling toy car engines out of wood. He looked so happy, sharing with us his artistic adventure through life, and although I know I'm not interested in being an entirely free-lance artist, I just want to find the same enthusiasm about my life as all these people who've presented their to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment